Re: Measuring PoP to PoP latency--tools to use?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Thu Aug 23 12:08:30 2001

Brian wrote:

> I once worked for a company that wrote a unix script that worked like this.
> Basically imagine a quare chart will all the pops listed across the top and
> down the left side. Every few minutes, each pop tries a small ping burst to
> ping all of the others, and the values are filled into the chart.  Results
> are color coded as green, yellow, and red.
>
>     Brian

The NLANR Multicast beacon does this now for multicast :

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/beacon/
http://beaconserver.accessgrid.org:9999/

It would be pretty trivial to modify this for a set of unicast beacons; the code is available.
There would have to be beacon management or discovery (now done implicitly by multicast).
You might want to lower the beacon send rate as well.

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : [email protected]
http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
 Check the status of multicast in real time :
 http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html