Re: Measuring PoP to PoP latency--tools to use?

  • From: Sam Thomas
  • Date: Thu Aug 23 10:31:46 2001

when someone asked me to do something like this, i waded through caida's
site and came accross this:

http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/pinger/

it's pretty cool stuff. requires *nix box, perl5, and some sort of
webserver software to produce simple reporting. there's also (optionally)
utilities that draw some pretty graphs that require gnuplot/ppmtogif.

imho, this is considerably better than logging into your router to do this.
routers are much better at forwarding packets than sending/receiving
them. (except older non-distributed routers, which aren't particularly
great at either for high traffic volumes) other bonus: no automated sending
of passwords from a box that might not get much admin attention.

one could probably modify these tools to use fping, but i just played
around with them for edutainment purposes. there's no mention of copyright
that i can find, but one should ask before using for commercial purposes.

--
Sam Thomas
Geek Mercenary