RE: Ethernet NAPs (was Re: Miami ...)

  • From: RJ Atkinson
  • Date: Wed Aug 22 18:35:22 2001

At 16:22 22/08/01, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>You get your highend GigE switch, you set it to 4470 MTU. You use
>either 7200 with PA-GE, or GSR with 1GE (avoid 3GE here,
>2450 MTU doesn't cut it).

Maybe 4470, but some operators prefer ~9K.  Different operators
might have different circumstances and hence different opinions.

If I were running an exchange point, I'd configure the exchange
switch for ~9K and leave the choice of MTU on the connecting device
up to my customers -- because that would maximise the potential
customer base and I am a capitalist.

Btw, some old GSR 1 GigE interfaces did not support anything above
IEEE-standard MTU.  I infer from your note that there are now some
GSR interface cards that do support larger than IEEE-standard MTU.
I haven't used any of the supposed new cards, but deployed several
of the older ones that didn't support anything above IEEE-standard
MTU on GigE.  Or maybe it was an IOS thing that changed in the
meantime.

Cheers,

Ran
[email protected]