RE: Ethernet NAPs (was Re: Miami ...)

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Wed Aug 22 16:25:18 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, RJ Atkinson wrote:

It's no rocket science.

You get your highend GigE switch, you set it to 4470 MTU. You use either
7200 with PA-GE, or GSR with 1GE (avoid 3GE here, 2450 MTU doesn't cut
it).

Juniper supports jumbos as well. Most vendors do. It works well in my
experience, but my experience is also that most people want to talk using
Ciscos anyway (at least over here).

Apart from the obvious speed issue FDDI worked well. I see no major
difference to what GigE has to offer. The only thing it lacks is the A+B
protection, and I don't see that as such a big issue, I mean, how often is
it the NAP equipment that fails compared to all other fault factors?

We are currently using SRP OC12 in Stockholm with 22 nodes connected, as
an exchange point. My personal opinion is that SRP is no good way to
connect a lot of people with. Packets have to traverse a lot of nodes to
get to where they're supposed to, with all that latency and inefficient
use of bandwidth. Price is also a heavy issue with SRP, especially the
OC48 cards listing at something like $100k and you have to get a GSR to
put it in.

ATM is an option. Also expensive.

GigE is an option. Cheap, efficient, supported by loads and loads of
vendors. Just remember to do jumbos and you're fine.

What else is there? POS, but that doesn't scale very well when you're
going fully meshed. What else is there? I can't think of anything.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]