burstable

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Wed Aug 22 14:12:13 2001

Jon Stanley wrote:

In my view of the world, a burstable circuit is
defined as one where the customer can send us as much
data as they would like (for example, an
entire DS3's worth on a consistent basis), and we
would bill them for usage above the contracted amount
via some method (we use 90th percentile
reporting)

In someone else's view inside the company, the
customer should be prohibited from sending above the
contracted rate for any extended period of
time by policing at the ATM layer.  Both views are
viable, but I believe (nearly religously) that the
former view is correct.
------

The largest ISP with which I'm familiar uses your
definition for burstable, and your co-worker's
definition for a "tiered" circuit.  IMO it's sales,
rather than engineering.

-David Barak
"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" - Juvenal