Re: Internet traffic analysis

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Aug 20 17:52:57 2001

At 05:20 PM 8/16/2001 -0700, k claffy wrote:

> "We are also seeing that 50 percent of the traffic is being
> carried by four of the major ISPs," says Roberts.
> Those being AOL (NASDAQ:AOL), MSN, Earthlink, and SBC.

Serious question: What about EarthLink's non-EarthLink-owned modems? (They do lease some modems, I have dialed into one before. :) And what about NetZero-type companies that outsource all of their modems?

If he is measuring traffic off routers, I do not see how he could differentiate between traffic on modem leased by $PROVIDER_A and traffic on that same modem an hour later leased by $PROVIDER_B.

Also, does he, or anyone else, have any explanation why [insert favorite obvious big backbone] is missing from that list? I know most of the ASes I used to see as "big" are not listed.

--
TTFN,
patrick