Terrestrial Radio (WAS: wanted: wireless magic tricks)

  • From: Jeb R. Linton
  • Date: Thu Aug 16 15:30:40 2001

If your client is looking for radio as a way to pay an up-front capital cost
and avoid the monthly recurring cost to and dependence on a LEC, there are
terrestial radio products that could do the job.

Satellite, of course, is tremendously more expensive than a leased line at
those speeds and does have the TCP windowing headache from latency, though
it can certainly be made to work.

As for 802.11a, the 5GHz unlicensed window it will use hasn't opened up yet
(AFAIK - may be outdated info), and there are no commercial products
available. Even if they were, the 5Gig spectrum doesn't travel as well as
2.4 at similar power, and last I heard they weren't expecting to bump up the
power limits. Even if they are, the effective rate probably won't be above
30Gbps. I don't know of any technologies that operate in ISM or other
unlicensed spectrum that would meet your requirements.

Several companies have been building terrestrial links like you would need
for years. Check out Harris: http://www.harris.com. The military loves them.
Last I checked, their products will do DS3 clear channel at >20 miles with
modest ground clearance; they're probably up to OC-3 by now. Being tailored
to the Military, as you can imagine, they're very robust, but expensive. You
also have some licensing hoops to jump through, but the vendor can help. All
in all, a couple hundred $k one time expense isn't bad.

- Jeb