Re: wanted: wireless magic tricks

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Thu Aug 16 13:54:16 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 01:39:51PM -0400, Mark Allman wrote:

> > Catch is, the bw x delay product will kill you on these links if
> > you run TCP sessions and you won't get anywhere near line rate.
>
> Not true.  If you turn on MS TCP or solaris TCP or whatever you
> won't get line rate out of the box awithout tweaking things a bit,
> but you can make *TCP* do it.  Some folks here have pushed TCP to
> over 500 Mbps over an OC-12 satellite channel with the normal,
> everyday TCP implementation in solaris.  (I.e., when you discount
> header overhead, etc. they got very close to line rate).

Well, that is quite wonderful, but when I approached this problem with a
collegue of mine over a sat link for a client that wasn't our experience and
after considerable tweaking we ended up having to settle for less.

PS: got pointers to documents detailing the 500mbps over OC-12 sat link?
    email addr will do, as well, I'd love to find out what they did.

--
Christian Kuhtz <[email protected]> -wk, <[email protected]> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.