Re: NOC servers with public/private ip address

  • From: Christopher A. Woodfield
  • Date: Wed Aug 15 10:42:05 2001

If you're talking about assigning RFC1918 space to router interfaces that
transit traffic, a la @home, keep in mind that this can break PMTU-D, and
makes for messy (and slow) traceroutes when external hosts try to resolve
unresolvable reverse DNS entries.

If you're talking about giving the workstations in your
NOC private IP addresses, using NAT to access your core routers, I see no
more a problem with that than I do with people using home DSL routers that
utilize NAT.

-C