Re: NOC servers with public/private ip address

  • From: Wojtek Zlobicki
  • Date: Tue Aug 14 17:59:01 2001

> Although I am almost religious that
> internet routers should NEVER have private address in the routing table

That isn't quite correct.  Internet routers should never "advertise" private
IP blocks to the global Intenet, I've never heard of anyone stating that
they should not have them in their routing table.  I've worked in a few NOCs
in my short life and the NOC has always been on an isolated private subnet.
Acess to critical hardware was only allowed from behind that subnet.

Private addressing adds an extra layer of security as well as saving
valuable IP space.