RE: Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting

  • From: Mitch Halmu
  • Date: Tue Aug 14 06:03:44 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Mitch Halmu wrote:
> > Since when is operating an open relay against the law? Please quote the
> > federal law NetSide has broken in having its mail servers configured as
> > they always were since we started in 1995.
>
> Congratulations, you just won an entry into my sendmail '571 list'.
> And guess what, I dont even need MAPS to do it.
> The sendmail access hash database works just fine.
>
> I suspect many other listmembers who dont run MAPS are manually making
> entries to block your open relays as well.
>
> -Dan

Dan, if as an ISP I would block access to anything that offends me
personally, or to a service that employs a staff member who vexed
my feelings, pretty soon I would have no services to offer to our
users. The world is a diverse place, and people have antagonizing
opinions at times. I respect anyone's convictions if they are sincere
and they don't use brute force to threaten my legitimate business.

I suspect that many other list members run, or are employed, by
businesses, and make business decisions, rather than personal ones.
I also happen to view Internet access as a service similar to those
provided by a common carrier.

Doubting seriously that any of our users is interested in corresponding
with you about that cute bunny girl you display on your web page, there
is nothing to mourn about your personal decision. Nevertheless, if it
ever happens that one of our users asks why he/she can't send you email,
I will forward them this message. I'm sure they will be thrilled to do
business with you.

--Mitch
NetSide