Re: AS2548... Do you care?

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Sun Aug 12 03:19:33 2001

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> This may sound odd, coming from me who is a halfway alarmist, but:
>
> 1) how is this really a 'problem'? Don't get me wrong, announcing a
> reserved AS is as bad as announcing 10/8, but, what did it break? Is it
> enough of a problem to spam nanog about it?

> 2) Did you call/email/page/carrier-pidgeon Digex/ICI about this?

1) I don't consider my post SPAM or fluf or anything else other than
operational content.  A well known and respected carrier is announcing a
reserved AS.  It didn't break anything here but, the announcement wouldn't
make it into anyones tables who was using 64620 in a confederation and as
a result, it very well could be breaking something somewhere.  Beyond
that, it doesn't set a very good example for others.  I guess I'll have to
rethink my "lower AS = higher clue" theory.

2) It's not what it broke but, what's broken that is allowing it to happen
to begin with.  It's fairly apparent that someone neglected to add 64620
to a confederation statement. (And doesn't have anything in place to
prevent leaking reserved AS's either.)

3) No.  I did not contact Digex/ICI directly because:

a) I'm not a direct customer.
b) I'm not a direct peer.
c) The leak has shown up in the IPMA (http://www.merit.edu/ipma/)listings
for the past 4 days and it's obvious that they're not monitoring IPMA or
don't care.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc