Re: Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Sat Aug 11 13:25:00 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Lou Katz wrote:

> Complain to the domain who got listed in the first place, wink wink,
> nudge nudge.

Ummm, the DUL is a list of dialup ports.  When it was started, the intent
was not to punish ISPs listed there, but to give mail admins a list of IPs
that represent dialup ports, which generally should not be sending mail
directly.  It is not a mark of shame to be on the DUL.  Some of us
actually *volunteered* such information to maps.

Which brings me to another point that's been eating at me since maps went
commercial...  DUL seemed like more of a community effort than RBL or RSS.
Many entries were added by people volunteering their own information with
the idea that it was for the "common good".  I for one, feel shafted that
this list to which I contributed, is only available if I choose to pay a
sizable amount of money.

As for MAPS working out deals for smaller customers, I've not yet received
any replies from their sales kritters, which I will interpret as a "NO".

Charles