Re: Code Red 2 cleanup; reporting..

  • From: Eric A. Hall
  • Date: Fri Aug 10 12:01:48 2001

> Note the option to share a directory on the web, how do you think that
> happens? Also note that, users very often don't understand the
difference
> between SMB file sharing and Web Sharing and Win2K goes to great
lengths
> to obfuscate those two anyway.

This particular example implies that file-and-print sharing has to be
installed. This is off by default for my boxes. Other ways to get it
installed are to run the IIS service, the FTP service, or one of the
other related services (SMTP, NNTP).

IOW, it's not installed without installing one of the related services.
I've got several Win2k Pro boxes and none of them have IIS running. They
do have the program in the ServicePackFiles directory, but its not
installed or running.

You can find out it if its running by looking for inetinfo.exe (the IIS
proggy) in the services tab in taskmgr.exe. You can find out if it's
installed by searching for inetinfo.exe on your hard drive.

---
Eric A. Hall
http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols