RE: Code Red 2 cleanup; reporting..

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Fri Aug 10 11:49:08 2001

[HTML formatting removed]
I should have been more clear [comments about nit-picky bit-heads, removed].

Win2K Active Directory clients run some parts of IIS, in order to support
Active Directory. Even if, you never installed IIS explicitly. Especially,
there is some serious LDAP/IIS integration here. Note the option to share a
directory on the web, how do you think that happens? Also note that, users
very often don't understand the difference between SMB file sharing and Web
Sharing and Win2K goes to great lengths to obfuscate those two anyway.

Win2K is a major re-write of the Domain Controller and its clients. Expect
large bugs, roaches the size of small dogs. MSFT [lack of] design QA is well
known. If you've never built large software systems, you'd not know that you
can integration-test the hell out of one [large software system] and still
never catch design flaws because it all meets specification. It is the
specifications that are wrong. The exploit that CodeRed uses is a classic
example. The only thing that works there is remorseless/ruthless high-level
architectural peer review. MSFT doesn't do those. They replace that process
with a bazillion integration testers.