Re: MPLS VPNs or not?

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Wed Aug 08 03:24:27 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:

> However, as the edge becomes more
> intelligent, the core has to adapt to service it. This often cannot be
> done without adding intelligence into the core. This does not mean
> that the core should be a participant of the newest and greatest
> feature but should know about the established features in order to
> optomize overall function. (eg, multicast.. the core knows about it,
> but makes no decisions other than routing and replicating
> packets... It does what it is told. All the rest is handled at the
> edge and at the RP.)

Funny that you choose multicast as an example.  I always thought that it
is a very rotten idea, and a security nightmare, too.

Distributed transparent caching does not require injection of any routing
information from customers into the core routing, and is a lot more
efficient than multicasting (i.e. you can always think of multicasting as
a caching with cache retention time set to nearly zero).

> These good practices, of course, have to start at the vendors. This is
> an area that has been lacking in recent years. (silly defaults, code
> that gets pushed into production before its ready because of marketing
> schedules, etc.)

Recent years? :) ROFL :)

--vadim