Re: MPLS VPNs or not?

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Tue Aug 07 21:37:41 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> 5 years from now you will see routers from multiple vedors allowing you
> to store & process orders of mangnitute of more routes. As a matter of
> fact if you have so much routes - you as an opertator should only be
> happy - as it means you are selling your new service and erning more
> money.

Funny how nothing changes as years pass...

For some obscure reason, these promised "routers able to store & process
orders of magnitude of more routes" always seem to be available a year or
so _after_ they could save the day.

I think the _best_ way for an operator to earn money is called "customer
retention".  No implementation costs, little operational costs; a cash
cow.  In my opinion, the best way to keep customers is not to offer new
features on a flaky network, but to have network to be truly dependable.

It's customer churn (and "make buck quickly" mentality) which kills ISPs.

--vadim