RE: MPLS VPNs or not?

  • From: Kavi, Prabhu
  • Date: Tue Aug 07 17:44:57 2001

I completely agree with this type of pragmatism.  A couple of
years ago, MPLS had only one viable application-TE for core IP
networks.  The implementations were buggy at first, but they have
certainly improved.  Nobody was *forced* to use it, but some
service providers saw advantages to deploying it.

Today, MPLS has more applications, such as routing optical
lightpaths, L3 VPNs, L2 VPNs, and more applications will come.
Again, nobody is *forced* to use any of them.  Some of these
applications may provide significant business advantage, some
of them may crash the network.

IMHO, it is a Good Thing(TM) that vendors are coming up with
these new applications, because it gives service providers
multiple choices in terms of the types of service they could
offer, assuming they were willing to take the risk in deploying
these services.

If you don't NEED protocol X, where X=[RFC 2547, QoS, L2VPNs,
GMPLS, pick your favorite proposal here], don't use it.  If
you don't LIKE protocol X it, don't use it, and hope that:

	A.) Your competitors deploy it, and
	B.) Your hunch was right and you make more money than
          your competitors as the result of your decision.

Ultimately, we should let the market decide.

Prabhu
Prabhu Kavi                     Phone:  1-978-264-4900 x125
Director, Adv. Prod. Planning   Fax:    1-978-264-0671
Tenor Networks                  Email:  [email protected]
100 Nagog Park                  WWW:    www.tenornetworks.com
Acton, MA 01720