Re: MPLS VPNs or not?

  • From: Andy Walden
  • Date: Tue Aug 07 13:38:33 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> But, the point you're hitting on is absolutely appropriate.  MPLS-VPNs aren't
> a solution for everything, and neither are tunnels.  It very much depends on
> your customer's needs, on your topology etc.  Global bashing of either is
> inappropriate.

I think what we can take away from this at this point is its still too
early out of the gate to completely write one or the other off.

And if history is any teacher, there will be installed bases of each and
a few standing L3 vs L2 VPN papers that get referenced when someone asks
which is better. Much like OSPF-ISIS exists these days.

andy