Re: MPLS VPNs or not?

  • From: Dave Israel
  • Date: Tue Aug 07 12:56:29 2001

On 8/7/2001 at 17:33:39 +0100, Randy Bush said:

> > That would be a rational position, but it can't be accepted by the
> > folks who have a fairly irrational attitude about the subject.
>
> love those ad hominem arguments by the desperate in the defense of clearly
> non-scalable technology.  will ad homina be part of 2547bis?

The sad thing here is, you repeated what the complaints are about
in your reply: specifically, you keep telling us it is "clearly
non-scalable," but you also fail to tell us why.

So:

1) 2547bis requires configuration at the ends only, just like any
   other IP service in a properly configured network.

2) The routing descriptor space is larger than the IP space, so it
   does not present a limiting factor.

3) The BGP mesh requirements are the same as for any other BGP-aware
   network (barring implementation issues, which are not a problem
   with the protocol itself.)  The additional configuration can be
   as static or as dynamic as any other IP service.

4) The memory requirements for the additional routes are the same
   as for any other IP routes, plus a little overhead for tracking
   the routing table.  This additional overhead does not appear
   to be significant.

Therefore, I would say that 2547bis is clearly scalable, or at least,
as scalable as internet IP service.

-Dave