RE: The Death of TCP/IP

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Mon Aug 06 04:04:55 2001

Aside from that fact that I think Cringley's still living in the haze-daze,
I think that you've been sucking down that MS Kool-Aid too hard. What MSFT
says and what MSFT does are two very different things. They're very good at
stroking you so that you don't notice it when they cut your throat, until
the cutting's done. Then it's too late. MSFT learned triple-level agendii
from the best in the business ... IBM. If you don't read at least three
levels of meaning into every MSFT press release then you're being very
nieve. Every word in those things is manacured to perfection. You can bet
that they are the absolute truth, that they are absolutely accurate, and
absolutely incomplete. But, incomplete in such a way that you will not
notice. It's the goals and agendii that are very well hidden.

> Wow a software company listening to its users, what a travesty.

What's a travesty is that they don't have the user's primary best interest
at heart at all. Users may benefit, and probably will, but MSFT will benefit
even more. Options that do not include a MSFT benefit are not even
considered.

> > > The main reason that *Nix hosts are  generally more
> > > resilient to these type of worms is that it is less
> likely for a non
> > > informed administrator to administer a *Nix sever.
> >
> > False. A very large portion of the *nux machines are in this sad
> condition.
>
> False,  many popular exploits (such as those with BIND) are
> fixed/patched much faster.

Uh huh, wu-ftp ... anyone? It's been *years* already. How about PINE? Let us
not forget qpopper. I *do* hope that you're not mounting your PDC's NTDS
files on anything less than a hardware RAID1 array. If that file evaporates,
you will have to re-install *every* DC in the house.

> Now a really scarry worm would be one that exploits Apache.

why? What about the new Oracle 9i application server? I'm just looking at
that now, I'm sure that there are some issues there. BTW, the first-ever
worm was created in a *nix box and infested other *nix boxen, via uucp. In
the same time-period, FidoNet was worm-proof.

> I used *NIX and not Linux for a reason. Many UNIX boxes are much better
secured.
> Joe Sixpack that installs his favourite distro of Linux is just as
vulnerable as a
> windows users. I will give you
> the fact that there are still many unsecure/unpatched boxes
> in both worlds. It all comes
> down to the poor management of Internet connected devices.

I think that I made that point. It is even more true today. *nix boxen cost
sufficiently much that you generally find them only in professionally-run
shops. *nux boxen are found everywhere else. But, also in professionally run
shops... right next to the *nix boxen. Latest pricing, of OpenUnix, is right
at $1K. *nux is generally around fifty bucks. Guess which one Joe home-user
will buy? Guess which one Joe Corp-user will buy? There's lots behind that,
which I won't go into here. No, it isn't that clean a cut. This is basic
marketing, folks.

> I am really encouraged
> by the new option of auto installing updates in Windows XP.

That doesn't scare you? If someone figures out a way to tap into that update
channel then they *own* your WinXP box. Especially since, there isn't a
human in that loop. Like no one has ever stolen a MSFT cert before? One
bogus update and put a fork in you .. you're done. You only *thought* that
CodeRed spread fast.

BTW, look at Caldera's Volution sometime.