Re: IP address blocks for out-of-band inter-provider links

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Aug 06 03:59:33 2001

On Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:44:22 PDT, Sean Donelan <[email protected]>  said:

> Because this isn't supposed to be connected to the Internet, its not
> necessary to use IANA/ARIN/RIPE/APNIC assigned IP address blocks. Several
> providers use private addresses on their out-of-band management networks.
> I would prefer to use globally unique IP addresses between providers to
> avoid conflicts with the RFC1918 private addresses already in use in
> provider's networks, and if the addresses accidently leak.

But of course, all the people involved have their border routers configured
to do proper egress filtering of 1918 addresses, so they won't leak very far ;)

Having said that, you can probably make the case that you're building a
"virtual" exchange point, and ask for some address space for that?

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst