RE: trapdoor.merit.edu and other impatient Postfix mailers everywhere(fwd)

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Fri Aug 03 18:57:58 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Mitch Halmu wrote:

> The modifications were done at Paul Vixie's specific request. So was
> "best practices" RFC 2505. Any doubt about that? Read the articles:

Mitch,

Your intentionally misleading statements are obnoxious and unprofessional.
If you work as hard at running your ISP as you do spreading half-truths,
rumors and outright lies about MAPS, I'll sign up with you because your
service must be top-notch...

> http://www.dotcomeon.com/relay_default.html

Paul Vixie says he asked for relaying to be turned off by default. There's
nothing wrong with that. No mention of sendmail using the MAPS RBL in any
way, shape or form.

> http://www.dotcomeon.com/allman_sendmail_qa.html

And in this message Eric Allman basically echoes what Paul says, that Paul
asked for relaying to be turned off by default and that he initially
didn't want to do it. Again, nothing about the RBL.

You're wrong, and you're intentionally being dishonest in an effort to
prove you're right, which won't work because you're wrong.

> Don't believe me. Believe the words of Paul Vixie and Eric Allman.

I do believe their words. Problem is, there's no mention of the RBL in
either of those discussions. Further, I don't believe anyone at the
Sendmail Project actually wrote the dnsbl macro (though I could be wrong
about that). It was eventually adopted by them, but I'm pretty sure they
didn't write it, and I'll bet a boatload of money that *no one* wrote it
simply because Vixie forced them to.

I'll be happy to start listening to you again when you have something of
worth to contribute.

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO - [email protected]

Donate a portion of your monthly ISP bill to your favorite charity or
non-profit organization! E-mail me for details.