Northern VA - Its not a worm, just Mother Nature

  • From: Karl
  • Date: Fri Aug 03 16:51:18 2001

------ Original message: --------------
> To: [email protected]
> From: Sean Donelan <[email protected]>
> Subject: Its not a worm, just Mother Nature
>

> Yesterday, Chicago and the midwest was hit by severe thunderstorms.
> Power was disrupted in several cities, and even now at least one
> provider still recovering somewhere in the Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland
> area.  Today, Florida is getting hit with a tropical storm.  A couple
> of providers seem to have a few connectivity problems.

It seems that Nextel/Motorola and Verizon are having troubles in various
parts of Northern VA. I just got off phone with Nextel and Verizon, and
seems that there have been power outages or generator failures, and some
of their equipment, picking up the flack, is overloaded. Verizon and
Motorola were dispatched to Reston, where there were some RF errors on the
Nextel switches.

Maybe someone on the list can verify or negate these reports from Nextel.

I don't mean to imply that this Friday afternoon, Northern-VA outage is
directly related to the Florida hurricane, but -- certainly -- the heat,
humidity, and overwhelming use of air-conditioners can be considered
climactic fallout.

-Karl

Systems Administrator, ARIN.net