Re: trapdoor.merit.edu and other impatient Postfix mailers everywhere (fwd)

  • From: Mitch Halmu
  • Date: Fri Aug 03 09:55:48 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Mathias Koerber wrote:

> |http://www.dotcomeon.com/relay_default.html
> |http://www.dotcomeon.com/allman_sendmail_qa.html
>

> These sources say that 'not relaying by default' was implemented
> on suggestion by Paul Vixie. They do not talk about checking MAPS
> (feature('dnsbl')) at all.

And how, may I ask then, is the MAPS RSS implemented? By which
mechanism, and whose default server was specified?

Historically, the first feature was called (rbl), now superceded
by (dnsbl), and was introduced in sendmail rel. 8.9.1 (1998).

> |Don't believe me. [...]
>
> I won't. Not after this.

Okay then, perhaps you can come up with evidence to the contrary.

BTW Mathias, we did have a few users from Singapore. They were
trying to avoid their country's strict censorship, and were relaying
their private correspondence through our server, although they had
accounts there. I wonder why? Perhaps it was the fear of rattan
canes that made them do it...

--Mitch
NetSide