RE: trapdoor.merit.edu and other impatient Postfix mailers everywhere(fwd)

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Fri Aug 03 03:13:09 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Vivien M. wrote:

> > Lemesee if I got this right...Paul Vixie doesn't know anybody that can
> > pull my IP addresses out of their logs, look them up on ARIN,
> > send me email.
>
> Do you log every single DNS query to your DNS servers (if you have any)?
>
> I'm not aware of anyone who does, simply because the resulting log would be
> gigantic... especially for a DNS-based service as huge as MAPS.

They've got some really smart people who I'm sure could whip up some code
to take named logs on stdin and add IP's to a database and send an email
to the appropriate contacts (as found in the regional registry for the IP
space).  Just because they could have done that, doesn't mean I think they
should have taken the time to do it.

They should have posted to inet-access and nanog.  Clearly the surprise
cutoff[1] this morning had a profound operational impact on mail servers
all over the world.

But no...they're too busy posting ALL CAPS TITLED press releases bragging
about things most operators probably couldn't care less about to
news.admin.net-abuse.email.  MAPS seems to have been taken over by flakey
pointy hairs.

I wonder how many network operators actually regularly read
news.admin.net-abuse.email?  I didn't until I heard it was the one place
MAPS had officially said anything about this change.

[1] Yes...it was a surprise.  It didn't happen when they said it would
happen.  Therefore, there was no way to anticipate when it would really
happen.  And for those who don't read inet-access, nanog, or nanae,
they're probably still wondering why the MAPS BLs are broken and why the
MAPS website has been down every time they've tried to go there and see if
there's any word about why the BLs are broken.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |