Re: Code Red growth stats

  • From: k claffy
  • Date: Wed Aug 01 22:08:53 2001

  While they don't say, the "number of infected hosts" graph makes me
  assume that they're counting unique IP addresses that tried to hit them.

  As I said, my numbers are consistent with others posted here.  And I've
  gotten private mail about another, similar observation -- Code Red,
  Round 2, appears to have peaked a few hours ago.

hmm, not sure about that, smb.

albeit crippled caida monitor (we're working on it),
it does seem to have reversed slope again:
http://www.caida.org/analysis/security/code-red/aug1-live-hosts.gif

bunch of fascinating comparative data too,
like the number of internal addresses that
were infected during each attaack:

        Code-Red infected hosts with reserved IP addresses (attack 1)

        10.0.0.0/8:     203     172.16.0.0/12   70      192.168.0.0/16  177

        Code-Red infected hosts with reserved IP addresses (attack 2)

        10.0.0.0/8:     0       172.16.0.0/12   6       192.168.0.0/16  0

(nevermind that we shouldn't see such addresses
in the first place, we all know that's a myth --
but whoever is using them either fixed their
nat configs this time or patched..)

about .5GB/hour of data, we gonna be outta disk by morning,
wow, we've hit every measurement snag possible today,
elves are all beyond exhausted...

per-AS stats still processing,
haven't started a geographic analysis of this attack yet
(we'd like to see which states/countries had highest patch rate,
not that geography matters in the least,
that much has been demonstrated....)