RE: 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck..'

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Sat Jul 28 23:51:35 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Steven J. Sobol wrote:

> I'm looking for ways to secure FTP/POP/IMAP myself, as I agree with
> you. (FWIW.)

While it's a bit klunky, I found Ixplorer soon after I discovered putty
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/). It's a front-end for
pscp written in Delphi that mimics the ubiquitous Windows Explorer:
http://www.i-tree.org/ixplorer.htm.  Source is available.  I think your
average windows user could get the hang of this pretty quickly.

As for IMAP, I've been playing with courier-imap and it has full SSL
support.  Ditto for the pop daemon that comes with the package, and
sqwebmail can be run on an ssl-enabled apache.  And then there's the ssl
patches for qmail...  Just part of an experiment to see how many things I
could wrap with ssl :)  It was all pretty easy.  The hard part would be
putting docs together for your users to explain how to click all the
relevant checkboxes in their mail program(s).

Charles