Re: The large ISPs and Peering

  • From: Fletcher E Kittredge
  • Date: Thu Jul 26 13:40:44 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:21:54 -0400 (EDT)  Curtis Maurand wrote:

> > Non-Tier-1 players are by no means being excluded from getting into these
> > facilities - exactly the opposite. The facility vendors are pushing to get
> > them in. The only thing were weren't included in is the choice of
> > facilities; if the Tier-1s want to form a consortium (they call it that,
> > rather than a "cartel"), it's certainly within their rights to do so.
>
> A rose by any other name...  The fact is, and history shows us, that when
> cartels form, things get bad for the consumer.  Oil, Electricity,
> telecomm.  However, The placement of the NAP's is disconcerting, because
> the process for choosing them was closed.   Does it make sense for all of
> my traffic going to maine.rr.com from lamere.net (both in Maine and in the
> same communities) to exchange traffic at MAE east 650 miles away?

Curtis,

	As an aside, there actually is a peering point in Portland,
ME, USA located in One City Center.  I heard a rumor you folk were
planning to join.  I hope you do.  Honestly, I think the reason your
traffic takes the above route is internal resistance inside
your own company....

good luck,
fletcher