Re: Discovering AS Path confederation...

  • From: Vijay Gill
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 17:45:40 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Chris Rapier wrote:

> I can say the observed divergence corresponds to this previously seen
> path. E.g.... I run a trace and find it traverses 701 702 8414 2912 7262
> 101 while the route table indicates its path should be 701 7262 101. If
> I know that 701 is confederating 8414 and 2912 then I know that the
> actual path corresponds to the routing table. However, I first need to
> determine that UUnet if actually doing that.

I think you're confusing confederations with something else entirely. For
example, the confederated paths are not visible outside a confederated AS.
Eg, some paths will show up like 1 2 3 4 5 6

and 2 may have an internal as path of (65518 655025 655123 23) but for all
intents and purposes, the internal structure of 2 is completely opaque to
entities not in the same AS.

/vijay