RE: product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck..')

  • From: Matt Levine
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 17:01:04 2001

True,

	But, as someone mentioned, microsoft is marketing high security
padlocks.

	If someone breaks into your business (your door was unlocked,
despite the fact the security system said that all the doors were
locked (as advertised)) and does damage that causes you to lose 250k,
you could/should go after the security company..

	Leaving your door unlocked doesn't preclude the criminal from being
arrested, but if you purchased a lock under the belief it worked, and
it doesn't, and that caused you damages, then the lockmaker is open
to liability.

	Now, in the real world, you'd have INSURANCE to cover this, and I
have a hunch we'll start to see more people insuring against
hacking/DoS's..

- --
Matt Levine
@Home: [email protected]