RE: The large ISPs and Peering

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 14:38:04 2001

From what I understand, the space requirements were 1,000 sq ft. Obviously this would not fill any of the colos they decided to go into. Where the colos were not "super-sized" they were asking about cross connect models where even if the next tier1 went into a different colo, there was a cross connect available at the same pricing as if they were in the room. So it seems they were making it part of the duties of the colo landlords to provide an infrastructure where by no future tier1s would have a cost disadvantage.

What I read into this was that non of the existing tier1s wanted any future company to scream "consortium" or any other dirty words, and say they were placed at a competitive disadvantage because the existing colo was full.

As you can read from Jeb's email, if the tier1s are too tight on peering policy, it only encourages the tier2s and content people to work around them, meaning a reduction of traffic ie. revenue for the tier1s.

Dave