RE: The large ISPs and Peering

  • From: Jeb R. Linton
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 13:14:06 2001

You're certainly right about the optical gear, but it misses the point that
the Tier-1s will come nowhere near filling these facilities.

Non-Tier-1 players are by no means being excluded from getting into these
facilities - exactly the opposite. The facility vendors are pushing to get
them in. The only thing were weren't included in is the choice of
facilities; if the Tier-1s want to form a consortium (they call it that,
rather than a "cartel"), it's certainly within their rights to do so.

I don't see this as a bad thing. What you say about price equalization
followed by increases may be true, but it seems unlikely to me for a few
reasons.

1. There's a fiber glut.
2. Several of the Tier-1s in the consortium are relatively new players who
are still paying for their share of the fiber glut, in a market downturn.
3. Because of 1 & 2, transit prices have already plummetted this year. The
best price we can get now is less than 50% what it was eight months ago.
4. Tier-2s and Content Providers have already started peering aggressively
to avoid paying the Tier-1s for transit. This is likely to happen even more
aggressively if we have a smaller and better known set of places to meet and
peer.

This is even more compelling to the larger, older, more expensive Tier-1s.
If I'm in a building where three providers can give me transit at $100/Mb
and four have it at $200-300/Mb, the choice is easy. Equalization may happen
here, but it will be a good thing, not a bad thing, for the reasons above.

In the end, Tier-1s need more transit business, and Tier-2s/Content
Providers need less transit (i.e. the growth rate is decreasing). More
supply, less demand. Prices will decrease.

- Jeb