RE: product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with t he extent to which luck..')

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 06:22:35 2001

At 03:05 AM 7/25/01, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> [...]

Now *there's* a thought. However, all software companies carry product
liability insurance. It's sometimes called a shrink-wrap license. You might
actually try reading it the next time you purchase and install software.
It does seem odd as a consumer that my car didn't come with a shrink-wrap license. I can imagine what it'd say if Microsoft owned Volvo: "We make no guarantees that this car is suitable for driving on highways, dirt roads, or anything in between. Customer assumes all responsibility for the suitability of this product to any use."

And add to that: "Check our website every so often to see if we've found any design flaws in your car. If we find any, we'll make fixes available to you eventually, but you have to pay for and supply your own trained mechanic to install the fixes."

Daniel Senie [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com