product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck..')

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 02:46:12 2001

Perhaps a different approach is in order -- product liability.

When Firestone made a large number of bad tires, they compensated the
purchasers by PAYING for replacement, including those that had not yet
been injured.  That included the upgrade, and the installation cost.

Network operators have been injured by the distribution of buggy software from M$.  We need to be compensated for our time and expenses.

End users need to be compensated for their costs to upgrade.

A check in the mail would be a better incentive to administrators than
"automatic" updates.

--
William Allen Simpson