Re: How many ISPs are out there?

  • From: up
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 09:10:43 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Philip Smith wrote:

> At 09:21 24/07/2001 +0000, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >how many active ASN's are there?
>
> and minus the other multihoming networks...
>
> Hmmm, and looking at the list of ASNs it's pretty hard to work out which
> are ISPs and which are not.
>
> And then what about those ISPs who don't have an ASN...

I would hazard a guess that numerically, far less than half of the ISPs
have ASNs.  We only got ours a few months ago, and out of curiousity, I
pulled out the local Yellow Pages and started doing whois's on ASNs.  I
found that only one other ISP (much larger) based out of Bucks County, PA,
appeared to have an ASN (out of approx a dozen total).

I'd guess that about a third of the ISPs are multihomed, and less than a
third of those have an ASN.

[email protected]							    http://3.am