Redundant diversity and rights of way

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Sun Jul 22 13:04:33 2001

Right of way and redundant diversity is deeply intertwined. One can't have
diversity without redundant rights of way and one doesn't need redundant
rights of way without the need for diversity. Having been through this, from
the RBOC side, I can tell you that even the RBOCs have serious problems with
this. Basically, the rights of way that are extant are often the ONLY rights
of way obtainable. They were acquired decades ago, by AT&T and others, and
any new rights of way are individually negotiated (and paid) at exhorbitant
costs. It gets worse going through local municipalities that look at the
telco as having near-government depth pockets (almost guaranteed to not be
the case). Many of those municipalities also fly the "jolly roger" and don't
mind resorting to extortionary practices (yes, were I still working at said
RBOC, I would be disciplined for saying that).

On the other hand, I can understand their [municipality] desire to integrate
and consolidate the infrastructure going through their territory/domain and
to minimize build-out impact and trenching activity in public areas. The
problem is that this happens on a case by case basis and, in the case of an
area like Los Angeles, mile by mile. This exacerbates the expense as
cumulative cost, end to end, for a given route, increases with the number of
municipalities that have to be paid along the way.

I might point out that this is also deeply related to last-mile issues and
why ILECs have such an advantage over CLECS. But, I digress.

For rural routes and rights of way the problem is different and mainly based
on geo-physical issues, like mountains, rivers, lakes, and fault-lines. As
an example, many rights of way follow I-70, through the Rockies. This is
because cutting an independent path, through 36 fourteeners, is enormously
expensive and the Feds have already paid for I-70. Adding some conduit to an
existing Interstate is substantially cheaper. It also gives you maintenance
access to said conduit, that someone else will keep cleared, throughout the
Rocky Mountain Winters. Tunnels and bridges are in this same catagory, as
are oil pipelines and railroads. But, in each case, access to the right of
way has to be negotiated with each owner. I guarantee that they've had the
same issues, in obtaining their extant right of way, and will charge
accordingly. IOW, it will be less expensive, but not by that much, usually
involving some sort of revenue sharing.

In short, one can theoretically demand redundant diversity of routes, but
may not be able to achieve that goal in practice. Those that have higher
expectations need to have those expectations examined.

--
R O E L A N D   M J  M E Y E R
Managing Director