Code Red seemingly on firewall (Re: Code Red on dial-in ppp)

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Sat Jul 21 14:44:08 2001

> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:40:47 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mitch Halmu <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Code Red on dial-in ppp
>
> You may have received the following from [email protected]

[ snip ]

One of our clients received said message noting that CR might be on
their Watchguard firewall -- which has no service listening on port 80.

Here's what I think happened:

* CodeRed infects IP addr 1.2.3.4 (some valid public IP)
* IP addr 1.2.3.4 is bound as secondary, with RFC1918 as primary
* Said server is behind NAT-providing firewall
* When infected server contacts the outside world, it uses the
  private IP, which the firewall then masquerades.

This client has several NT boxen behind their firewallo so who knows
which the culprit is -- or are.

Just an FYI that will hopefully help others who encounter similar
situations.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence