Re: Update: CSX train derailment

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Jul 20 15:41:48 2001

On Fri, 20 July 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 08:28:37AM -0400, David Lesher wrote:
> > I'm not sure where they could run temporary fiber...
> > Next to the fire hoses snaking down the street?
>
> You'd be surprised what they can come up with on short notice.
> For temporary fixes fiber can be quickly rolled out next to railroad
> tracks (yes, just laying on the ground) or down other right of way
> (sometimes even public roads).  They generally put it in an innerduct

The Baltimore Sun has a graphic showing the re-routed fiber optic
line.

http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-traingridlockmap.graphic

I understand all the carriers have people working very hard to fix
the cut, but the question which is rarely asked and even more rarely
answered is where was the physical diversity in those carriers
networks?  Did these carriers know about this vulnerability in their
network?  When customers asked, were the customers told?

What are MFN or Worldcom sales people telling customers who ask what
happened to their network diversity?