Re: Update: CSX train derailment

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Jul 19 14:18:05 2001

The curse seems to still work, my brand new "backup" server was
installed in a location between Baltimore and Washington DC this
week.  A short time later, a nearby train derails.  I think Murphy
following me.  Remember, its not parnoia if people really are out
to get you :-)

It appears most providers have found ways to re-route around
the fiber break/fire in Baltimore. Physical diversity? Why bother,
it only takes a day to have techs patch around the cut. Some
individual customers still say they have problems, but generally
things seem much better along the easter seaboard.

    Alternet/UUNET/Worldcom
    Abovenet/MFN
    Mindspring
    PSI
    Verio

Other providers may have also been affected, but I have no
information about the status of their network.  The CSX and
Amtrack routes are the primary fiber routes through Baltimore,
so it was a crap shoot which provider got hit.  Were they in
the Amtrack right-of-way or the CSX right-of-way.

The Baltimore Fire Department started removing train cars from
the tunnel this morning, but stopped when the fire flared up
again.