Update: CSX train derailment

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Jul 18 23:40:09 2001

At 9pm (EDT) the newswires and CNN reported the Baltimore Fire Department
had blocked most major highways and access roads to central Baltimore.

10 people have been treated for injuries including two firefighters.

The following providers have updates on their public network status
web sites about the cable cut and CSX train derailment

   Alternet/UUNET/Worldcom
   Abovenet/MFN
   Mindspring
   PSI

The following providers are NOT reporting any problems on their public
network status web sites.  Either they haven't updated their web site,
or they haven't experienced any affects from the train derailment.

   AT&T
   Exodus
   Cable & Wireless

I do not know (or don't have access) to any network status web site
for the following providers, so I do not know their status

   Genuity
   Level 3
   Sprintlink
   Qwest

Because the train derailment involves potentially hazardous materials,
no provider has an estimated time to repair. Telecom repair crews will
be allowed into the tunnel after the fire department and HAZMAT teams
complete their work.