DoS Attack Reporting tool

  • From: Jon O .
  • Date: Thu Jul 12 16:57:01 2001

On 11-Jul-2001, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> > Convince me why a list of non-cooperative ISPs is a thing that would
> > help.
>
> behavior modification is sometimes achieved by bad PR.
>
> They might blow off some individual isp, "eat your pingflood, we
> will shut down our smurf amps when we feel like it". I would imagine
> their attitude might change when reporters start calling, "when are you
> planning on shutting down your 10mb/s smurf amps?"

I've created a yahoo group for this type of purpose.

It can be found here:

The goal of this group is to provide a medium for sharing
information about DoS attacks. This includes current attacks
on your network, a phonebook with ISP contact information,
reporting ISP cooperation levels, etc.

The quality of this tool is dependent upon the quality of
the members. Please bear this in mind when posting. Please
do not send single line remarks about someone else's comments,
or generally be unhelpful. I've seen too much of that on this list.
This tool is not to replace the function of the NANOG list,
but to provide organized data that can easily be parsed and used.

We all know that many large ISPs are uncooperative when dealing
with DDoS attacks and responding to complaints. Well, a public forum
with peer review might help this situation.

If you want things to change you have to take action. Please
participate in this first small action toward a solution.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. If you have some
documentation to add, or anything send it my way.

Thanks,
Jon