Re: DDoS attacks

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Wed Jul 11 22:19:09 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Ariel Biener wrote:

>   Hi people,

Hi IRC-nobody who should have contacted Abovenet directly.

>    For the last few days, I have experienced a series of DDoS attacks on

On IRC servers?  Have you contacted Ripleys?  This has NEVER happened
before!  I can't BELIEVE that an IRC server has attracted the attention of
a script kiddie!

>    Due to the various attacks, more than half of the servers on the
> network were black holed (null routed). The others which hold 1/3 of the

If the entire network were null routed, I'm betting that your attacks
would go away.

> client count, are attacked, or going to be attacked soon.

Especially since you're giving free battle damage assessments out on
NANOG.

>    If this keeps on going, this irc network will cease to exist. These

Finally someone has found a POSITIVE use of DDoS scripts!

> attacks are all coordinated, and some people are trying to locate the
> source. Alot of traffic is coming via AboveNet from Korea. Alot of

And in the true spirit of IRC, none of the brainchildren in charge had the
wherewithall to actually contact Abovenet directly, huh?

> "zombies" are used to attack targets, PCs infected with trojans, that can
> be remote controlled.

Zombies: People whose lifes revolve around IRC.

> russian rosstelekom, gigabell.de in germany and the list goes on), I
> think this is a time when these people have to be stopped.

I agree.  DOWN WITH ALL IRC NETWORKS!

>    At this time, it would be very helpful if AboveNet people could contact
> me in private.

Have you perhaps considered picking up the telephone and calling them?  I
hear it's a much faster route than whining on NANOG.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc