Re: It's way too quiet

  • From: Robert Cannon
  • Date: Thu Jul 05 15:05:51 2001

The FCC figure was a benchmark for the purpose of
conducting the Sec. 706 Reports.
http://www.cybertelecom.org/706.htm  It has no more
significance than that.  It was selected in part
because it was believed that at that rate, video with
sign language for the disabled would work.  Other than
creating a bench mark, which the FCC stated in might
change in the future, it does not have further
regulatory signficance.

-B
www.cybertelecom.org

>>> Vincent Power <[email protected]> 07/05/01
02:05PM >>>

In January 1999, the FCC defined broadband as a
connection to an
end-user with speeds greater than 200 kbps in both
directions.

-Vince

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Larry Diffey wrote:

> Since it's so quiet in here, I want to stir things
up a little with an informal survey.

> With all of this talk about broadband (mostly in
reference to cable modems and xDSL), consumers have
been tricked into actually believing that if it's
faster than a modem then it's broadband.

> I have a number in my head as to what I consider
broadband.  It's not an unreasonable number but it
certainly does exceed what is available to the average
consumer.

> Oh wise nanogers, what speeds do we need to achieve
for the average consumer before we truly have
broadband?

> I will try and keep track of all the numbers that
you give you an average and I'll also give you the
number I had in mind.

> Regards,
>
> Larry Diffey
>
> **Incidentally, I am at this very moment wearing a
t-shirt that says "Will work for bandwidth".