Statement of WorldCom, Inc. on Nasdaq Network Service Interruption

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 21:46:57 2001

It appears Worldcom is learning.  A few years ago when Worldcom had
an outage affecting the Chicago Board of Trade, Mr. Ebbers didn't make
a public statement for over a week.  This time Worldcom had a public
statement in less than five hours.

BTW, did anyone ever receive an actual explaination for what happened
two years ago when Worldcom lost their frame-relay?  I never did.

Statement of WorldCom, Inc. on Nasdaq Network Service Interruption

6/29/2001 6:47:00 PM
CLINTON, Miss., Jun 29, 2001 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- WorldCom, Inc. provides network services to the Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc. Today, Nasdaq experienced a service interruption at approximately 2:31 p.m. EDT that affected the quality of stock quotations and resulted in the suspension of Nasdaq's SOES and SelectNet trading systems. All service to the network system, supplied and managed by WorldCom, was restored at approximately 3:33 p.m. EDT.

WorldCom's preliminary investigation into this issue indicates that it was apparently caused during routine testing of a development system for Nasdaq and resulted in the service interruption. WorldCom is continuing its investigation. Additional details will be made available as they are known.

Said WorldCom, Inc. CEO and President Bernard J. Ebbers, "We very much regret this market interruption. For nine years, Nasdaq has been a valued customer. We have resolved this issue and will continue to work with Nasdaq to take all steps necessary to ensure it does not recur."