Akamai Servers: Normal or Weird?

  • From: Chris Rapier
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 16:42:32 2001

Is something funny happening with them lately or is it normal to see
45Mbps of UDP traffic between akamai servers (45Mps peak, average for
the past 24 hours is around 15Mbps. Prior to that it wasn't enough to
show up in our graphs). More information: Our akamai farm is the one
recieving all of the data - its coming into our various akamai hosts on
port 1455.

I've never looked at this traffic before so I don't know if this is
normal or not. I understand that the servers have to talk to each other
to distribute content but why UDP and why consume so much bandwidth?

Chris