Re: ISP's who filter ICMP during DoS?

  • From: Rafi Sadowsky
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 07:34:56 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, ASV wrote:

> Does anyone have a list of which ISPs are willing to filter ICMP packets
> for you when your network is being (D)DoS'd, and which prefer to simply
> blackhole / disconnect you, and which will do absolutely nothing??

 IMHO the best protection you can get from ICMP flooding is a permanent
rate-limit on your upstream router to something between 1-5 % of the line
capacity - You won't feel it unless you have a DoS attack and then it
kicks automagically

 NOTE: depending on your "normal" traffic you want to rate limit UDP
to something between say 20-50 % of line capacity

-	Rafi