RE: New NAP Opening in Miami this week

  • From: David S. Diaz
  • Date: Thu Jun 28 16:59:30 2001

My mistake, the RA is hot as or today at the Mix. I was just corrected off list.

-----
Actually Bellsouth is hot. I have been to the sites. The fibre is and hot. Im sure there are things like the RA that may not be hot yet if that is what is being referred to. It's a good network with fibre from different carries on diverse routes. The interesting prospect I think is that since they have nodes in locations like W. Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale (not just miami) your local loop from these areas would be significantly cheaper than running to that other NAP in Miami. This may be attractive for carriers or backbones in that area. The Mix nodes are also located at locations like transoceanic fibre nodes. Since it's a layer 1 network also, geeez maybe it's good for cheap transport.

I think the NOTA building that was built was built well. 32ft is not bad for florida at all. It seems like a fine colo with one concern, it's in an evacation area. Which means u need to have key people there before the storm restrictions kick in or they arent getting there. As we know, no one gets rich building a nap, this is model plans on making money from colo space which is also tough right now. The other model is a, hey we dont care where u are at, use us for peering and hmmm we can do wave service and local loops and whatever else you can come up with for a dwdm/optical switched core network.

It is going to be interesting to see how both naps evolve and develop differentiating services.

One negative with the mix-nap is that they used blue and orange colors, Univ of Florida, for their tshirts. What an insult :-)

dave