RE: Global BGP - 2001-06-23 - Vendor X's statement...

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Wed Jun 27 16:19:30 2001

> Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:21:20 -0400
> From: Matt Levine <[email protected]>

> Agreed, so throw the bad route to the bit bucket and leave the bgp
> session open, or at the very least (as others have suggested) give me
> an OPTION to do that.  Bad enough we were only operating at 33%
> capacity, however, if we only had transit from the 4 that were giving
> us the bad route, we would have lost connectivity totally.  While it

<imesho>

On the surface, this appears to be correct.

But let's ask ourselves _why_ those upstreams had bad routes.  It's
because _they_ did not filter at the edge.  If bad routes leak, but are
filtered before reaching the core, then they never make it to you.

IOW, your concern is a non-issue if the large providers apply similar
filtering at the edge.  You wouldn't be cutting yourself off because the
provider in question would have filtered it long ago.

Do it at the edge, and the Internet does not become any more brittle.

As for making money... if the general agreement is that "BGP death
penalty" is correct, let the violators and bad BGP speakers face the
consequences of spewing garbage.

</imesho>

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence