Re: Time to revise RFC 1771

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Jun 26 22:36:25 2001

On Tue, 26 June 2001, Clayton Fiske wrote:
> Plus, a CRC error can occur between two valid, compliant, bug-free
> implementations. A bad route, by definition, can't. We're not talking
> about external faults here, but broken implementations. When one side
> of a protocol session simply breaks the rules, I don't think it's
> reasonable to say that the other side needs to be "fixed" to accept
> that breakage. Fix the broken side.

Uhm, lets see what you think of this press announcement.

"Pardon us, we must shutdown the Internet will we decide whose software
needs to be fixed.  Don't worry, as soon as it is fixed, the Internet
will be rebooted."

Yep, somebody's implementation was broken.  One part of the response
is to fix their implementation.  While we waiting to get the fix, the
rest of the Internet should not have been flapping.